Friday, December 7, 2012

Why You Should Not Rely On SEO Alone


It's not surprising to me that many newbies to the online business world aren't very familiar with internet marketing. Most people who begin in internet marketing believe that the only way to get traffic to your website is through search engine optimization. But this isn't true.

Search engine optimization (SEO) should be a viable part in your entire internet marketing campaign, but it shouldn't be the only part. There are many other ways to get traffic to your website, and these other ways are much more simpler and time-effective when it comes to getting traffic to your site.

I took this computer economics class in college once and one of the things that we had to do was come up with a website for a local business owner, and show them how to market it. We had to go out on the streets and find a local business owner who didn't have a website, and propose to them that I could create them one for free.

OK so I build the website without using a free website creation tool - it was all through programming. Needless to say, the task was tough - because I hate programming. One of the things that my professor stressed was that we had to teach the business owners how to get traffic to their website using the search engines; otherwise, their website wouldn't be found at all.

This is incredibly incorrect. I'm surprised my professor didn't even want us to discuss advertising options with these business owners. The point of the story is that you shouldn't rely solely on search engine marketing because things can change at any moment.

Recently this year, Google came out with something called a "Panda" update, and a "Penguin" update. Never mind the names... all you need to know is that these 2 search engine algorithm changes CRIPPLED a lot of peoples' businesses. Article directories got hit hard. People who were making $10,000+ a month saw their years of hard work disappear... it was just ugly.

Now do I suggest that you still try to optimize your site for the search engines? Well of course - just don't make it your primary traffic source. There is still much traffic to be gotten from Google, Yahoo, and Bing. Yahoo and Bing aren't as large as Google, but you can still optimize your site for them simply and easily.

I'm not the biggest expert on SEO, but I do know when it's time to do other things. I saw my traffic stats change also. My traffic from SEO decreased, but I had backup traffic sources that still brought in a lot of traffic to my website. This is the lesson that I would like to pass on to you.

Don't be deceived. There is life beyond Google, and you can still have a successful business online. Make sure you're still marketing your business successfully, and make sure that you have a daily plan that you can follow everything. This is surely a recipe for success.

Good luck with your internet marketing efforts, and not relying solely on SEO.

Commercial Roofers Website SEO Services and Success in Roofing Company's Website Promotion   5 Ways To Tell Your Online Reputation Is In Trouble!   RSS SEO   Valuable Optimization Tips for Online Entities   Why Keywords Are Essential to SEO   



0 comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Français Deutsch Italiano Português
Español 日本語 한국의 中国简体。